I made an introduction presentation on SMT (Statistical Machine Translation) as getting started for people or researchers who would like to know what is SMT and how it works. I hope you like it !
Category Archives: MT
I would like to share with you a good news. Yesterday was my Masters seminar. The thesis title is
“Injected Linguistic Tags Approach to Improve Phrase Based Statistical Machine Translation”
“طريقة الإثراء اللغوي لتحسين نظم الترجمة الآلية الإحصائية المعتمدة على المقاطع”
In the masters degree program from Arab Academy for Science and Technology & Maritime Transport, College of Computing & Information Technology
and elhamdoleAllah I got my Masters degree in computer science, It was a lot of hard work and research effort. I feel I did something useful to improve English into Arabic machine translation.
I would like to express my gratitude to Prof. Dr. Mohamed Kouta for his supervision of my thesis and his great support along my thesis work.
I am deeply indebted to my supervisor Dr. Mohamed Sakr whose help, stimulating suggestions and encouragement, helped me in all the time of research and writing of this thesis.
Also I would like to thank my examiners Prof. Dr. Mohamed Esam Khalifa and Prof.Dr.Mohamed Sharawy .
Also, I would like to thank my brother Osama Oransa for his help in J2ME related issues.
Especially, I would like to give my special thanks to my parents and my wife whose patient love and encouragement enabled me to complete this work.
Did you ever wonder about the meaning of any English or Arabic word or its pronunciation. There are many useful online dictionaries that can help you out. I decided to put a list of them so any one can find them easily and use them. This is as well related to my Masters thesis, as the dictionary part is important in MT research.
- Dicts http://dicts.info/
- Alburaq http://www.alburaq.net/dictionary/transform.cfm (also provide Arabic roots dictionary http://www.alburaq.net/mukhtar/root.cfm)
- tos.edu http://www.tps.edu.ee/nastik/ar-en/ (very simple)
- ECTACO http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Arabic-Dictionary/ (organized output with similar words)
- Dict.info http://www.dicts.info/2/english-arabic.php (English pronunciation available)
- Sakhr http://dictionary.sakhr.com/ (You will notice that you need to put the word in the website search input box :), the output is very good with diacritics (i.e. tashkeel) )
- Lexilogos http://www.lexilogos.com/english/arabic_dictionary.htm (linked to many other dictionaries).
- Albalqa http://dictionary.bau.edu.jo/Search.aspx
- Sensagent http://dictionary.sensagent.com/ (Rich output ).
- Babylon http://www.babylon.com/define/98/English-Arabic-Dictionary.html
As I’m working on my Masters thesis in English to Arabic Machine Translation, I thought to collect all online English to Arabic (and vise versa) online machine translation services. This post scope is only to collect the translation web sites. I may put more posts to evaluate the translation quality God willing in the future.
- Goole translate http://translate.google.com/translate_t (free)
- Trjem http://www.tarjem.com/ (free)
- Sakhr http://translate.sakhr.com/Sakhr/ (I think this is not free and you need to login)
- Almisbar http://www.almisbar.com/ (Not free)
- Systran http://www.systran.co.uk/ (Free)
- WorldLingo http://www.worldlingo.com/microsoft/computer_translation.html
- MicroSoft Windows Live translator http://www.windowslivetranslator.com/Default.aspx (Based on Systran).
- translated.net http://free.translated.net/ (it gives you 1 time trial translation)
- Starts21.com (uses some of translation sites above) http://www.stars21.com/translator/arabic_to_english.html
- There is nother free translation service but doesn’t have Arabic language support http://www.freetranslation.com/
Pleas let me know your feedback.